Return to the front page.
Return to the overview for this issue of CCC.
Access a full text PDF of this article. (Note: PDFs are available through NCTE, or JSTOR for issues prior to Volume 48. Site subscription may be required.)
Bookmark this entry on Delicious
Bookmark this entry on CiteULike.
Print this entry.
[need to do a plaintext style sheet for entries]
Then below here, we'll add the lower navbar stuff from the original version, inc. site search, tag search, categories, issue bar, etc.)
Lamos, Steve. "Literacy Crisis and Color-Blindness: The Problematic Racial Dynamics of Mid-1970s Language and Literacy Instruction for 'High-Risk' Minority Students." CCC 60.1 (2008): 46-81.
This article argues that mid-1970s discourses of literacy crisis prompted a problematic shift toward color-blind ideologies of language and literacy within both disciplinary and institutional discussions of writing instruction for "high-risk" minority students. It further argues that this shift has continuing import for contemporary antiracist writing instruction.
- Works Cited
- Bartholomae, David. "The Study of Error." CCC 31.3 (1980): 253-77.
- Beissel, George F. "Comment on James Sledd." College English 34.4 (1973): 582-83.
- Chair of Senate Committee on Student English (SCSE). "(Draft) Report and Tentative Plans: Writing Laboratory/Clinic." Feb. 1969. Record Series 9/5/33, Box 1, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- "Comments on the Qualifying Examination." 22 Feb. 1967. Record Series 9/5/33, Box 1, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Conference on College Composition and Communication. "Committee on CCCC Language: Background Statement." CCC 25.3 (1974) (Students' Right to Their Own Language Special Issue): 1-18.
- Daniels, Harvey. "What's New with the SAT?" English Journal 63.6 (1974): 11-12.
- Dean A (Dean of the Educational Opportunity Program during 1969-1970). "The Role of English in the College Education of Minorities: A Crown Don't Make No King." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Miami, Florida. 17 Apr. 1969.
- Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Letter to Head of the English Department. 25 May 1971. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- ---. Letter to Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs. 21 Oct. 1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- DeGenaro, William. "Why Basic Writing Professionals on Regional Campuses Need to Know Their Histories." Open Words: Access and English Studies 1.1 (2006): 54-68.
- Director B (Director of EOP Rhetoric during 1972-1975). Memo to the Head of the English Department. 17 October 1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- ---. "Proposal for Change in the Rhetoric Placement Policy at the Lower Level." January 1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Director C (Director of EOP Rhetoric during 1975-1977). "The Directive: Rhetoric 103." Program Description. 1976. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- ---. Letter to Director of the EEL. 6 Oct. 1975. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- ---. "To the Rhetoric Teaching Staff." 1975. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Director of the EEL. Memo to "Administrators, Faculty and Students Re: The Expanded Encounter with Learning." n.d. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- ---. Memo to Director B. 15 Oct.1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- "The Educational Opportunities Program: A Report on Its Objectives, Problems, and Accomplishments." Program Report. 20 Dec. 1974. Record Series 41/1/30, Box 3, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- "EEL Use of Writing Laboratory." 1972. Record Series 41/1/30, Box 3, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Egerton, John. Higher Education for "High Risk" Students. Atlanta: Southern Education Found., 1968.
- "The Expanded Encounter with Learning Program." 1971. Record Series 41/1/30, Box 1, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Fox, Tom. Defending Access: A Critique of Standards in Higher Education. Portsmouth: Boynton/Cook, 1999.
- Genovese, Michael A. The Nixon Presidency: Power and Politics in Turbulent Times. New York: Greenwood, 1990.
- Gleason, Barbara. "Remediation Phase-Out at CUNY: The 'Equity versus Excellence' Controversy." CCC 51.3 (2000): 488-91.
- Greene, Nicole Pepinster, and Patricia J. McAlexander. Basic Writing in America: The History of Nine College Programs. Cresskill: Hampton, 2008.
- Haswell, Richard. "NCTE/CCCC's Recent War on Scholarship." Written Communication 22.2 (2005): 198-223.
- Kochman, Thomas. "Social Factors in the Consideration of Teaching Standard English." Florida FL Reporter 7.1 (1969): 87-88, 157.
- Lamos, Steve. "Language, Literacy, and the Institutional Dynamics of Racism: Late- 1960s Writing Instruction for 'High- Risk' African American Undergraduate Students at One Predominantly-White University." CCC 60.1 (2008): 46-81.
- Lloyd-Jones, Richard. "A View from the Center." CCC 29.1 (1978): 24-29.
- Lu, Min-Zhan. "Importing 'Science': Neutralizing Basic Writing" In Representing the 'Other': Basic Writers and the Teaching of Basic Writing. Eds. Bruce Horner and Min-Zhan Lu. Urbana: NCTE, 1999. 56-104.
- Lunsford, Andrea. "Cognitive Development and the Basic Writer." College English 41.1 (1979): 38-46.
- MacDonald, Susan Peck. "The Erasure of Language." CCC 58.4 (2007): 585-625.
- McDaniel, Reuben R., and James W. McKee. An Evaluation of Higher Education's Response to Black Students. Bloomington: Indiana UP, 1971.
- "Notes on Meeting with Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences." 17 Oct. 1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Omi, Michael, and Howard Winant. Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s. 2nd ed. New York: Routledge, 1994.
- O'Neill, Wayne. "The Politics of Bidialecticalism." College English 33.4 (1972): 433-38.
- Perl, Sondra. "The Composing Processes of Unskilled College Writers." Research in the Teaching of English 13.4 (1979): 317-36.
- Senate Committee on Student English. Minutes. 15 Sept. 1969. Record Series 9/5/33, Box 1, Univ. of Illinois Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Shaughnessy, Mina. Errors and Expectations. New York: Oxford UP, 1977.
- ---. "Open Admissions and the Disadvantaged Teacher." CCC 24.5 (1973): 401-04.
- Sheils, Merrill. "Why Johnny Can't Write." Newsweek 9 Dec. 1975: 58-65.
- Shor, Ira. Culture Wars: School and Society in the Age of Conservative Restoration. London: U of Chicago P, 1986.
- Sledd, James. "Doublespeak: Dialectology in the Service of Big Brother." College English 33.4 (1972): 439-56.
- Smitherman, Geneva. "God Don't Never Change: Black English from a Black Perspective." College English 34.6 (1973): 828-33.
- ---. "Soul 'N Style." English Journal 63.4 (1974): 16-17.
- ---. Talkin' and Testifyin': The Language of Black America. Boston: Houghton, 1977.
- Soliday, Mary. The Politics of Remediation: Institutional and Student Needs in Higher Education. Pittsburgh: U of Pittsburgh P, 2002.
- Trimbur, John. "Literacy and the Discourse of Crisis." The Politics of Writing Instruction: Postsecondary. Eds. Richard Bullock, John Trimbur, and Charles Schuster. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 1991. 277-95.
- Vice-Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Letter to Dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences. 22 Jan. 1975. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.
- Wible, Scott. "Pedagogies of the 'Students' Right Era': The Language Curriculum Research Group's Project for Linguistic Diversity." CCC 57.3 (2006): 442-78.
- Wiener, Harvey. "Questions on Basic Skills for the Writing Teacher." CCC 28.4 (1977): 321-24.
- Williamson, Joy Ann. Black Power on Campus: The University of Illinois, 1965-1975. Urbana: UIUC P, 2003.
- Writing Lab Staff Member. Memo to Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of English. 1 Oct. 1974. Univ. of Illinois English Dept. Archives, Urbana, IL.