Sommers, Nancy, Carol Rutz, and Howard Tinberg. "Re-Visions: Rethinking Nancy Sommers's 'Responding to Student Writing,' 1982." CCC 58.2 (2006): 246-266.
Return to the front page.
Return to the overview for this issue of CCC.
Access a full text PDF of this article. (Note: PDFs are available through NCTE, or JSTOR for issues prior to Volume 48. Site subscription may be required.)
Bookmark this entry on Delicious
Bookmark this entry on CiteULike.
Print this entry.[need to do a plaintext style sheet for entries]
Then below here, we'll add the lower navbar stuff from the original version, inc. site search, tag search, categories, issue bar, etc.)
Nancy Sommers, Carol Rutz, and Howard Tinberg. Re-Visions: Rethinking Nancy Sommers's "Responding to Student Writing," 1982.
Sommers, Nancy. "Across the Drafts." CCC 58.2 (2006): 248-256.
- Works Cited
- Anson, Chris M. "Response Styles and Ways of Knowing." Writing and Response: Theory, Practice, and Research. Ed. Chris M. Anson. Urbana: NCTE, 1989. 332-66.
- Brannon, Lil, and C. H. Knoblauch. "On Students' Rights to Their Own Texts: A Model of Teacher Response." CCC 33.2 (1982): 157-66.
- Carroll, Lee Ann. Rehearsing New Roles: How College Students Develop as Writers. Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press, 2002.
- Fishman, Jenn, et al. "Performing Writing, Performing Literacy." CCC 57.2 (2005): 224-52.
- Harvey, Gordon. "Repetitive Strain: The Injuries of Responding to Student Writing." ADE Bulletin 134-135 (Spring- Fall 2003): 43-48.
- Herrington, Anne J., and Marcia Curtis. Persons in Process: Four Stories of Writing and Personal Development in College. Urbana: NCTE, 2000.
- Smith, Summer. "The Genre of the End Comment: Conventions in Teacher Response to Student Writing." CCC 48.2 (1997): 249-68.
- Sommers, Nancy. "Responding to Student Writing." CCC 33.2 (1982): 148-56.
- Sternglass, Marilyn S. Time to Know Them: A Longitudinal Study of Writing and Learning at the College Level. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum, 1997.
- Straub, Richard, and Ronald F. Lunsford. Twelve Readers Reading: Responding to College Student Writing. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton, 1995.
- Yancey, Kathleen Blake. "Looking Back as We Look Forward: Historicizing Writing Assessment." CCC 50.3 (1999): 483-503.
Rutz, Carol. "Recovering the Conversation: A Response to 'Responding to Student Writing' via 'Across the Drafts.'" CCC 58.2 (2006): 257-261.
- Works Cited
- Connors, Robert J., and Andrea A. Lunsford. "Frequency of Formal Errors in Current College Writing, or Ma and Pa Kettle Do Research." CCC 39.4 (1988): 395-409.
- ---. "Teachers' Rhetorical Comments on Student Papers." CCC 44.2 (1993): 200-23.
- Rutz, Carol. "Marvelous Cartographers." Classroom Spaces and Writing Instruction. Eds. Ed Nagelhout and Carol Rutz. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2004. 117- 32.
- Sommers, Nancy. "Responding to Student Writing." CCC 33. 2 (1982): 148-56.
- Straub, Richard, and Ronald F. Lunsford. Twelve Readers Reading: Responding to College Student Writing. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 1995.
Tinberg, Howard. "From 'Self-Righteous Researcher' to 'Fellow Teacher.'" CCC 58.2 (2006): 236-245.
- Works Cited
- Knoblauch, C. H., and Lil Brannon. "Responding to Texts: Facilitating Revision in the Writing Workshop." Rhetorical Traditions and the Teaching of Writing. Upper Montclair, NJ: Boynton/Cook, 1984. 118-50.
- Light, Richard J. Making the Most Out of College: Students Speak Their Minds. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 2001.
- Lunsford, Ronald F. "When Less Is More: Principles for Responding in the Disciplines." Writing to Learn: Strategies for Assigning and Responding to Writing Across the Disciplines. Ed. Mary Deane Sorcinelli and Peter Elbow. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 1997. 91-104.
- Sommers, Nancy. "Afterword." On Writing Research: The Braddock Essays: 1975- 1998. Ed. Lisa Ede. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 1999. 130-31.
- ---. "Between the Drafts." CCC 43.1 (Feb. 1992): 23-31.
- ---. "Responding to Student Writing." CCC 33.2 (1982): 148-56.
- Straub, Richard. "The Concept of Control in Teacher Response: Defining the Varieties of 'Directive' and 'Facilitative' Commentary." CCC 47.2 (May 1996): 223- 51.